Search This Blog

Saturday 25 July 2020

50 Americana Albums You Should Hear Before You Die - Barricades & Brickwalls


I'm not sure if anyone out there is still with me on this series but if there are they will be pleased to know that we are now 3/5ths of the way there.
Time then for our first, and only, visit to Australia for some Australiacana courtesy of Kasey Chambers.
I was swithering between her 1999 debut album The Captain and the 2001 follow up Barricades & Brickwalls and decided after some tooing and frowing to go for the latter. A potential candidate then for George's Second is Better than First series but like Laura Cantrell there is probably only a fag paper between them.

On this album she is joined by her dad Bill and the splendidly named Worm Werchon on song writing duties on a couple of tracks and the album is produced by her brother Nash.
Prior to going solo she was a member of the Dead Ringer Band alongside her father, her brother and her mother Diane
The album was on Warner Brothers but never became a hit in the States despite reaching number 1 in the Australian charts. The song Not Pretty Enough gave her her first Australian number 1 single
She obviously made a minor splash in the UK or else she would not have crossed my radar
I saw her play at Glasgow's 13th Note Club on Sunday 16th July 2000 (just over 20 years ago!) paying  £5.00 for the privilege

I picked up her third album 2004's Wayword Angel in a Glasgow shop a few years back so only another nine to go

Kasey Chambers - Barricades & Brickwalls

Kasey Chambers - Not Pretty Enough

Kasey Chambers - Runaway Train

4 comments:

  1. Still follow your great series and there were always new inspirations for me. Looking forward to the next nine ones CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Walter
      Twenty to go as opposed to nine I'm afraid!

      Delete
  2. "'m not sure if anyone out there is still with me on this series"
    I am (as is Walter it seems)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not Pretty Enough was pretty enough for me. God that's so corny - didn't mean it to be. I can see what my kids mean now when they 'dad joke' roll their eyes. It's so unfair actually....but when you're in a hole - stop digging!

    ReplyDelete