Search This Blog

Thursday 16 July 2020

Bop Till You Drop


Mrs CC randomly  picked out San Patricio a concept album by The Chieftains with Ry Cooder to play with dinner the other day.
"Tell me about Ry Cooder" she said. Ten minutes later, with her eyes glazed over you could tell that she was beginning to regret posing that question.
By this time I had dug out the only vinyl album I have by Ry which is his 8th album Bop Till You Drop from 1979 on Warner Brothers. It cost me £1.49 second hand in Glasgow's Missing Records.

The album mainly consists of covers of early rhythm & blues and rock'n'roll classics but its main claim to fame is that it was first digitally recorded  major label album in popular music. Sadly for me despite that it is not valuable and you can pick it upo from as little as £2.84 on discogs.

I've featured  the opening track Little Sister which was a monster hit for Elvis Presley and which was also covered by Dwight Yoakam. I was all set to follow that with a fairly faithful rendition of Arthur Alexander's Go Home Girl when I noticed that he was accompanied by the mighty Chaka Khan on Don't You Mess  Me Up  a Good Thing which led to a swift change of plan

Ry Cooder - Little Sister

Ry Cooder (with Chaka Khan) - Don't You Mess Me Up a Good Thing

2 comments: