Search This Blog

Friday 24 July 2020

Here We Come, Walking Down the Street


Time for something by the original and best manufactured Boy Band The Monkees.
Mikey Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and Davie Jones were chosen to star in a TV series from 1966 to 1971 about an imaginary band but quickly became the real thing and amazingly successful they were too outselling both the Beatles and the Stones at their peak in 1967.

Everyone's favourite bit of Monkees trivia is of course the fact that Mike Nesmith's mum invented Liquid Paper (aka Tipex) becoming a multi-millionaire in the process. Anyone under 30 has probably no idea what I'm talking about.

At first I thought that Can You Dig It was the same song as the one made famous by the Mock Turtles but they are similar but different


We're just tryin' to be friendly

Come and watch us sing and play
We're the young generation
And we've got something to say




3 comments:

  1. Great post. Coincidentally, I woke up with Last Train To Clarksville in my head this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Monkees' Dig It song is a million billion times better than that nonsense by The Mock Turtles

    ReplyDelete
  3. George is being a bit harsh there. I agree the Monkees' track is great but Mock Turtles' song ain't that bad. Now I think about it, on the strength of that single I bought their 87-90 album and remember being very disappointed with it. Must have been flush one Friday lunchtime and splashed the cash. Actually I've got a record cabinet full of speculative buys that in hindsight I'd've been better spending on a different album. Could be an idea for a future thread?

    ReplyDelete