Search This Blog

Friday 17 July 2020

Kinky Friday


Whenever there is any retrospective of British popular music in the 60's the focus is almost inevitably on The Beatles and the songs of Lennon and McCartney.
Occasionally The Rolling Stones and Jagger and Richards may get a cursory menion.
Criminally the Kinks and the songs of Ray Davies are almost alway totally ignored

I've just been listening to Spotlight on the Kinks a 24 track double album. Every track on it is a stone cold pop classic and  equal to anything that the Fab Four ever produced and in many cases better.

Here are three examples.
Did Lennon and McCartney ever write anything as good as Waterloo Sunset?
I think not.

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

The Kinks - Lola

The Kinks - Days

9 comments:

  1. The Beatles. Not a fan are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not particularly.
      Decent enough but not head and shoulders above all others as many suggest

      Delete
    2. Indeed. The Beatles, no better than Gentel Giant.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. If someone doesn't like Waterloo Sunset, they need referring to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, you make a great point. I'm always up for a Kinky Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kinks have always been one of my favourite bands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was listening to Days the other day. Superb song. And Waterloo Sunset is peerless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Beatles are fine, but I'll take the Kinks and Beach Boys before the Fab 4 every time. Case in point, I had Waterloo Sunset out just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When asked for my favourite band I always give the Kinks (I love'em to bits) but with the rider that, culturally, the Beatles reign supreme - does anybody seriously dispute that, in 60s Britain at any rate? Of course, the Stones and I suppose the Who also bestride the 60s but, to state the bleedin' obvious, they're all great in their own very different ways.

    ReplyDelete