Search This Blog

Thursday 25 October 2018

Juliet Oh Juliet


My final Broadford purchase was a 2001 album Burn the Black Suit by Juliet Turner and it was one that I bought in error as I was thinking Juliette Lewis the actor who produced some rocky number with her band the Licks.
This is more folky and singer songwritery from an artist from Northern Ireland but based in Dublin.
Her second album it went double platinum in Ireland and was voted one of the top 100 Irish albums of all time by HotPress magazine (no, me neither) readers in 2004. She was also championed by the legend that was Sir Terry Wogan.

However, it is not for me. Although she has a pleasant voice and I'm a fan of people singing in their own accents  I found it  a bit worthy and  a bit  of a slog to get through.
So one that's going back - not to Broadford but somewhere more local

I thought I had also nabbed Josh Rouse's Country Mouse City House but sadly there was no disc only the cover. The nice lady let me take the cover within which my burn of the album now resides.

Juliet Turner - Burn The Black Suit

Juliet Turner - Take the Money and Run

5 comments:

  1. I was expecting a right load of old shite but it's perfectly listenable. Are you going to tell me this is by far and away the best track on the album?

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably not going to be the best song I hear today but I will definitely hear worse (not too difficult in this country)
    My partner gives it the "it's ok"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owned this. It was all right. I don't think I kept it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juliet & The Licks though can be very entertaining, in reasonably small doses.

    ReplyDelete