Search This Blog

Thursday 15 February 2018

Voyageur


A slice of Alt Country today from Kathleen Edwards with her album Voyageur .You will note that I have opted for Alt Country as opposed to Americana mainly because Ms Edwards is in fact Canadian.
It is her fourth album  which was released in 2012 and co-produced with Justin Vernon of Bon Iver fame.
She's not the most prolific of artists as this was only her 4th album since her debut in 2003.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about her as although she is clearly talented I saw her early in her career where she made what I considered to be derogatory comments about the artist who had been on stage before her the great Ray Wylie Hubbard. I'll put it down to the immaturity of youth.

It seems that she has now left the music business opening a coffee shop in the Ottowa suburb of Stittsville.
Something which stumped me in one of Rol's  excellent Saturday Snapshot conundrums.

My last Oban purchase - we are of to Lochgilphead next

Kathleen Edwards -Sidecar

Kathleen Edwards - For The Record

6 comments:

  1. I particularly enjoyed 'For the Record'. Just Googled Lochgilphead - it looks lovely. Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been trying to get to the bottom of this Americana label - Apparently First Aid Kit come under that genre so all very confusing. Do you have a definitive method of deciding who fits the bill and who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wiki definition of alternative country is pretty accurate

      Alternative country (sometimes alt-country, insurgent country, or Americana) is a loosely defined subgenre of country music, which includes acts that differ significantly in style from mainstream country music and pop country music.

      I also like the Bloodshot records description - insurgent country music

      On the shelves my "country" stuff tends to be in two sections - stuff Mrs CC likes and the rest (Americana!)

      Delete
  3. Talking of Lochgilphead, we have a native in the house tonight. My daughter's boyfriend was born and brought up there - Needless to say he is a shinty player!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long been a favourite of mine. Sorry to hear about the Ray Wylie Hubbard snub.

    I noticed she's touring about later this year (not over here) so maybe she's bored of making coffee all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the leaving the music business/coffee shop slur but must say I liked For The Record - Hadn't previously been aware of her but worth following up I'd say. Do I detect something a la Judie Tzuke about that track?

    ReplyDelete