Search This Blog

Saturday 24 February 2018

Covered By Cash -Redemption Day


The week before last Johnny succeeded in stopping the rot but sadly for him and all his fans it appears to have been only temporary as there was a fairly comfortable win for Steve Earle with The Devil's Right Hand.

That takes the score to Cash 8 The Rest 9. So the Man in Black requires to win this week to take it to a final end.Plus it's his birthday on Monday. So no pressure then.

Given his life story Mr Cash is no stranger to redemption and this is certainly the case when it comes to his choice of cover.We have previously had Bob Marley's Redemption Song and this we you are getting his version of Sheryl Crow's Redemption Day from his final American Recordings album - American VI: Ain't No Grave
When the subject matter has a whiff of religion Johnny usually comes into his own and this week there is no exception
It's JC for me by a distance this week.
Others ,of cours,e may choose to disagree but I suspect we are going to the wire

Johnny Cash -Redemption Day

Sheryl Crow -Redemption Day

11 comments:

  1. Johnny Cash. I think you've used this one to ensure it goes 9-9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no
      I had it lined up to go last week and then swooped it with Steve Earle

      Delete
  2. I suspect that this one might be a walkover for Johnny. He certainly gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George is right. This is gerrymandering and you should be reported to the Electoral Commission. But as it means we get another week of Johnny I'll let it go this time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheryl's too sweet. Johnny Cash gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have always like Sheryl's original so whilst JC's is a great version which really does it justice, I still feel a certain loyalty to Sheryl here. At least she'll get one vote this week anyway, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I too smelled a rat. That said, much as I like Ms. Crow, this was no contest. JC.

    ReplyDelete