Search This Blog

Saturday 10 February 2018

Covered By Cash - If You Could Read My Mind


There are more twists and turns in this series than a twisty and turny thing.
Last week was the clash of the Titans - Johnny and Joe Strummer up against Bob Marley with Redemption Song.
A lot of love for JC and JS but in the end a narrow victory for Bob by 8 votes to 6 .
The score is therefore now Cash 7 The Rest 8 and it is the first time that Johnny has been behind since week 3.
That may well change as we feature something from American V - A Hundred Highways from 2006 but with songs recorded during the period September 2002 right up to 21st August 2003 shortly before his death on 12th September 2003.
Now the original of If You Could Read My Mind by Canadian singer- songwriter Gordon Lightfoot is a mighty fine song but I defy any of you to listen to Johnny's version and not have a lump in your throat or even a little bubble.
So it is Johnny for me all day long. The heartless among you may choose to disagree.

Johnny Cash -If You Could Read My Mind

Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind

11 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the song, but I think JC does it better. Score 1 for The Man In Black

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dogs are eating bird poo whilst I'm eating my toast. It's a bit on the disgusting side (dogs eating habits, not my toast). Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go to YouTube to listen to these two, couldn't play them through your links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange
      Don't think I did anything different than usual

      Delete
  4. Not a fan of this song either, but prefer Johnny's take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Gordon Lightfoot version (in the minority, obviously), but this is one of those where Johnny gravitas of age to devastating results. A fine victory for JC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the vulnerability in JC's voice here. So another vote for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to be controversial and say that I prefer the Gordon Lightfoot version. Agreed that Johnny’s version is heart-breaking to listen to but being objective going to stick with the smoother one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm. I'm on the losing side here (as if it matters ha ha) but I'm going with Gordon Lightfoot. I get the whole Cash against allcomers schtick you're going for and I'm sure Ive voted for Johnny many times but sometimes I feel he's just phoning in a version (Which classic are we doing next Rick sort of thing). Keep the series going though.

    ReplyDelete