Search This Blog

Monday 27 November 2017

Sweet Thorns


Brian's  recent Matthew Sweet related posts had me scouring the shelves for my copy of The Thorns.
From 2003 it is the debut album, and indeed the only album, from a supergroup consisting of Mr Sweet, Pete Drodge and Shawn Mullins and legendary drummer Jim Keitner.

They toured in the US and Europe supporting The Dixie Chicks and The Jayhawks. This may explan why there is a faithful cover of the Jayhawks' Blue on the album.
Some wonderful harmonies .Like a Crosby, Stills and Nash for the millennium.Only better.

It is an album that I hadn't played for ages but one that has been on heavy rotation in recent days.

The Thorns - Think it Over

The Thorns - No Blue Sky

3 comments:

  1. Hey CC. Blue was so spot on to the original I think it may have hurt any chances if it being a hit... but what a song! I haven’t listened to this album in a very long time, but your selections today have prompted me to take ithis one off the shelf. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about Blue Brian and that is the reason I didn't post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey - another one I'd completely forgotten about. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete