Search This Blog

Sunday 4 August 2024

Stone the Crows

 



When Crows were first proposed as part of the I Like Birds series there was some brief discussion around musical acts with Crow as part of their name.

I've come up with six

As well as being today's post title Stone the Crows were a Glasgow blues rock band whose membership included Maggie Bell (of the Taggart theme song fame) and Les Harvey brother of the more famous Alex.

American rock band Counting Crows best known for their 1993 debut album August and Everything After are probably more well known.

The world and your granny will be familiar with Sheryl Crow who has sold more than 50 million albums world wide and who has won Grammy awards from 32 nominations.

Nashville  based Americana string band Old Crow Medicine Show are perhaps slightly less famous although they have won a Grammy!  Their 9th album Remedy won the Grammy Award for Best Folk Album in 2014

The Black Crowes are a rock band from Georgia who have been on the go since 1984  who have sold 30 million albums although I haven't bought any of them and apparently rank at number 92 in VH1's 100 Greatest Artist of Hard Rock. Wow - there are 100 great artists of Hard Rock? Who would have thunk it!

Finally a slightly more spurious offering namely Crowsdell  an indie- pop band from Jacksonville, Florida who have graced these pages once before

Murder right enough!











10 comments:

  1. Crowsdell??? What next - Rodney Crow-ell? Crow-ded House?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worse, Ernie. Leslie Crow-ther!

      Delete
    2. I am aghast that Mr Goggins has dared to criticise the inclsuion of the wonderful Crowsdell yet tacitly agrees with the presence of the Black Crowes

      Delete
  2. Controversial opinion time, but for me, the Black Crowes version of Hard To Handle is better than Otis. If you ever come across their album Shake Your Money Maker, I'd recommend shaking your money maker at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rol, I am listening to that version right now, and it will come as no surprise that I say that You Are Wrong There. Mr CC: That Sheryl Crow track is a keeper for me. As is the OCMS track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected nothing more, George.

      Delete
    2. I am aghast that Mr George can describe any Sheryl Crow song as a 'keeper'. For me it calls into question his judgement on other matters as well (although I happen to agree with him on 'Hard to Handle', as much as I enjoy the Black Crowes version).

      Delete
  4. I've got a Black Crowes album, the one with remedy on it- which I thought was very good. Haven't' heard it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me Crowsdell's Shannon Wright had the most fantastic voice. The best track of theirs you could have played was Trunk. I'll just have to play it myself!

    ReplyDelete