Search This Blog

Thursday 29 August 2024

Love Among The Ruins

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 58  - 10.000 Maniacs -Love Among The Ruins.

I was quite chuffed to pick up a 10,000 Maniacs album alongside The Housemartins. Just before I played it, it suddenly dawned on me - what if it is 10,000 Maniacs record post Natalie Merchant?

Sadly that proved to be the case. From 1997 and on the Geffen label Love Among the Ruins is the 6th album by the band and the first without Natalie.

Mary Ramsay is the lady with the impossible task of filling her boots. She has a pleasant enough voice but it is a bit like Queen without Freddie, The Faces without Rod or even Motorhead without Lemmy.

Mrs CC somewhat cruelly compared them to a covers band. Maybe a more accurate description than I first thought as a cover of Roxy Music's More Than This is one of the two singles off the album and probably the best track.

AllMusic seem to agree giving it 2 out of 5.It still managed to sell over 200,000 copies although Geffen dropped them after 3 months with 30,000 copies sold.

It's going back as it is pretty unlikely either of us would take the trouble to listen to it again.

10.000 Maniacs - Rainy Day

10,000 Maniacs -  More Than This

3 comments:

  1. A companion piece for Spandau Ballet who built their love on wasteland through the barricades

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of myself as a big 10,000 Maniacs fan but obviously not that big as I never think of picking up this album whenever I see it around - from what you say about it I obviously intuited well!!

    ReplyDelete