Search This Blog

Friday 30 August 2024

I Like Birds 8 - The Hawk

 


As I'm sure you are all aware Hawks are  birds of prey of the family Accipitridae.They are very widely distributed and are found on all continents except Antarctica.

The subfamily Accipitridae  includes  goshawks, sparrow hawks ,sharp-shinned hawks , and others. This subfamily are mainly woodland birds with short broad wings, long tails, and high visual acuity. They hunt by dashing suddenly from a concealed perch.

It is helpful to read the above in a Chris Packham voice.

There is no music by Penetration today so I'm not sure that Chris would approve.

We do however have Bill Callahan and Bonnie Prince Billy who he might admire with Red Tailed Hawk ( look at that!)

Joe Turner follows that with The Chicken and the Hawk. The Chicken may well feature in its own right later on in this series.

The Dove has appeared earlier in this series and here Scott Miller and the Commonwealth pair it up with the Hawk.

Finally we have Meg Baird with Mosquito Hawk. I have looked this up and it is actually a colloquial name for the Crane Fly but who's quibbling?

No Hawkwind but I couldn't resist a bit of Hamish Hawk

A little Birdie tells me there will be more next week. 


Bill Callahan & Bonnie Prince Billy - Red Tailed Hawk

Joe Turner - The Chicken and the Hawk

Scott Miller and the Commonwealth - Hawks & Doves

Meg Baird - Mosquito Hawk




9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. PS Scott and Meg, you are spoiling us CC

      Delete
    2. Accipitridae - I just assumed that you all knew that

      Delete
  2. The word here for goshawk is "açor", and the islands in tha Atlantic are called Os Açores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to listen to your Chris Packham impersonation all day long, CC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There is no music by Penetration today so I'm not sure that Chris would approve." I have no idea what this means. Neither does the person next to me, who suggested I "just ask him" ie you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure there's room in a Bill Callahan song for anybody else other than him, it just seemed a bit cluttered to me - no disrespect to BPB mind!

    That was my first hearing of Hamish Hawk and thought he was great - he's added to my check out further list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just come back here to criticise myself for unconsidered and vacuous comments. Turns out Red-Tailed Hawk (the song) has a history of its own and is not even by BC. Lyrics are by Heather Summers and released (2017?) by Louisville's The Other Years a duo she's in with Anna Krippenstaple. Their version's on YT too - a pretty spare sound of voice and violin. I actually prefer the two Bill's version whch has some lovely guitar fills by Matt Kinsey.

    I'll be back next week with more vacuous comments.

    ReplyDelete