Search This Blog

Thursday 8 August 2024

Beg, Steal or Borrow. Part 2.

 


George writes:

Or, maybe I should say, an appreciation of the music of the New Seekers. So that title song is probably their second best known song, after that syrupy glop of earnest whining better known as I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing. (...........in perfect harmony , grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves….something like that anyway).  On reflection, that’s not the best way to begin an appreciation of a band, is it?  After a bit of internet doodling I unearthed the song “Mystic Queen”, which was the b-side to the execrable “Circles” and it’s a surprisingly good listen:



One for volume 224 of the Downloads series.


And something with possibly a bit more appeal to the readership of these pages now, a track by Lightnin’ Hopkins:


Lightnin' Hopkins - I'm Begging You



And another act to feature a plethora of times on these pages is the Louvin Brothers. Today’s track comes from the Nearer My God To Thee album, all of which can be found on the must have box-set Close Harmony (only £120, and well worth the money):



And in my quite obvious attempts to ingratiate myself with Mr CC the final track today will also be one of which he approves, and another artiste that has previously graced these pages (and the many many cd shelves in his house)



I am under the impression that posting mp3 files of Mr Morrison is swiftly dealt with by the internet police, hence the video.  The album from which this track is taken, Veedon Fleece, has Mr Morrison flanked by two muckle dogs on the cover. It is also the most recent album of Van Morrison that I have. That’s a picture of a linden tree at the top, but you all knew that.


Enjoy the music.


CC writes

I don't have Veedon Fleece

Even the Grumpy Irishman doesn't bother much about MP3s these days given the rise of streaming.

In all the years I've known George he has kept his love for The New Seekers firmly hidden under a bushel!

9 comments:

  1. This would be more accurately titled 'Beg, Steal & Steal Pt 1'. No sign of borrowing anywhere.

    Veedon Fleece is one of my favourite Van albums. I once spent a night in Arklow purely because "Streets of Arklow" made it sound like a magical place. It wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I was obviously not paying attention

      Delete
    2. I assumed you were just pushing the boundaries of the form as usual

      Delete
  2. As Meatloaf might say
    two out of three ain't bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's a new Howard Jones album out, a "live at the O2"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Veedon Fleece is the last Van alb you have then I'd thoroughly recommend you give a listen to his next two, Wavelength and Into The Music both of which have several great tracks.

      Delete
    2. I agree with that Spence. 'Wavelength' makes even better use of synths than Howard Jones courtesy of the bloke from Camel.

      Delete
  4. I was all fired up to giving George both barrels re the execrable New Seekers and then he goes and plays Linden Arden Stole The Highlights and I'm left dreamily helpless and adrift as usual after hearing it. LASTH is in my top 3 Van songs (Madame George & And The Healing Has Begun the others).

    ReplyDelete