Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 August 2024

Beg, Steal or Borrow. Part 3

 


A New Seekers superfan writes:

I’ve been doing some reading in my bid to rehabilitate the New Seekers. And I have belatedly realised that they wanted to contribute to the soundtrack of a film version of a rock opera (and there’s two words to strike terror in your heart). This effort dates from 1973. And I have absolutely no recollection of this version, despite it reaching no. 16 in the charts. And, as we know, there was only one radio station available that played pop songs, so I’ve no idea why I simply cannot remember it.


And it’s not absolute bobbins either, is it?  (That bloke on the left, is it me, or was that Peter Frampton guesting in the band?).  The band failed the audition, Mr Russell opted for Elton John, and quite rightly too. I went with my mum to see the film (in The Regal in Broughty Ferry). And how cool was that?


Even more cool are the next three tunes, inspired by the song of the title of this piece, the first featuring the absolutely fantastic voice of Francesco Stephen Castelluccio.


The Four Seasons - Beggin'

The country-bluegrass genre supplies this week’s steal song:


Jimmy Martin -Steal Away Somewhere and Die


And from the excellent album @#%&*! Smilers:


Aimee Mann - Borrowing Time



Enjoy the music.


CC writes - George's love affair with The New Seekers will continue next week.


8 comments:

  1. Depending on which end he is talking about 'Peter Frampton' is actually Paul Layton or Peter Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure? I bet you never saw Mr Frampton and either of Mr Layton or Doyle in the same room at the same time

      Delete
    2. Me and Peter F go way back, both being Bromley boys. I would know him anywhere.

      Delete
    3. It was Paul Layton on the left but next to him was the teen idol Marty Kristian - his particular brand of good looks meant he regularly featured as a pin-up in girls' magazines.

      I do remember their version of Pinball Wizard but long forgotten about.

      Delete
  2. Weren’t Frampton, Layton & Doyle a firm of solicitors at the top of the high street?

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy in a nutshell, love it, makes much more sense

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have absolutely no recollection of that 1973 New Seekers 'hit'. Obviously I was out doing unspeakably teenagerly things at the time. Looking back, that version is pretty passable but I wouldn't have been caught dead saying so back then

    ReplyDelete