Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 August 2024

Tropical Gangsters

 

2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 54 - Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Tropical Gangsters


A few weeks ago I  picked up a vinyl cope of Tropical Gangsters by Kid Creole and the Coconuts on Ze Records  in Oxfam in Troon. It cost me three pounds which I thought was pretty reasonable given that it was in very good condition and it was Oxfam.

I was surprised that I didn't already have it although I am pretty sure that I had it on tape at one stage. When exchanging pleasantries with the lady behind the till while handing over me cash we both expressed surprise that the album was from as far back as 1982.

42 years ago  for goodness sake and yet these two songs and Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy remain fresh in my mind. Annie would probably have featured here today had it not appeared earlier in the month when August Darnell's yellow attire caught John Medd's eye and which has led to a wonderful series of all things yellow.


Kid Creole and the Coconuts - I'm a Wonderful Thing Baby

Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Stool Pigeon

 

6 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with this album. A classic and I remember a fantastic gig by them round this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to see them live.
      I'm jealous Walter!

      Delete
    2. Would you also be jealous if I told you Mama Coconut was a personal friend of mine?

      Delete
    3. If memory serves me well, Alyson saw them around that time too! I have a feeling you may be turning a very strong shade of green right now...

      Delete
    4. You are right C, I saw them at Aberdeen's Capitol Theatre around that time - wonder what they thought of the far north - not very tropical!

      If asked what my top 5 concerts are, Kid Creole and the Coconuts are up there. A riot of colour and fantastic songs.

      Delete