Search This Blog

Thursday 1 August 2024

Beg, Steal or Borrow

 


Here is George getting in on the three word phrase act.

Not another three-word series on the pages of Charity Chic Music? We’ll see, maybe a guest post. I would be lying if I said that I used the Ray La Montagne and The Prairie Dogs song as inspiration because, of course, it’s the runner-up song of the 1972 Eurovision Song Contest by The New Seekers. A band that sold about 35 million records. Does that make Aberdeen’s Eve Graham the biggest selling Scottish pop artiste of all time? The song: anyone older than 60 will know this song, and will be able to sing along in places, maybe even contribute a few “ba-ba bah bahs” in time with that little riff within the chorus (You know I’ll beg steal or borrow (ba-ba bah bah)  to give you sunny days………..and in a hundred ways…..)


And a perfectly fine light pop song it is too. The 9 year-old me was far too cool to like it, the 61 year old me is far too cool to not like it.

And now for three songs about begging or stealing or borrowing. But not all three in one song.

The obvious begging song is of course track 3 on This Was, Jethro Tull’s first (and splendid) album.  A heavy rock track with, unsurprisingly, some flourishes of flautistry:

Jethro Tull - Beggar's Farm

Any excuse to shoehorn a Jethro Tull into these pages!. 


The “steal” song today is by soul singer Jimmy Hughes, and as good as the other three songs I give you today are, this is The Absolute Bifters of a song:


Jimmy Hughes - Steal Away


Country next, supplied by George “no-show” Jones. Just listen to the opening twenty seconds and you know what a splendid song this will be:


George Jones - Borrowed Angel


I discovered that the title song was produced by David Mackay. Possibly not the same one as pictured at the top.


Enjoy the music.


CC writes: Thanks George

The good or bad news depending on your perspective is I think he may have another one in the pipeline.

8 comments:

  1. Good news based on these three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to keep him busy. It stops him pestering the goats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop Press:
    There's more than one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to reserve the right to retract my earlier comment in that case

      Delete
    2. is that because you only praised three and not four tracks?

      Delete
  4. A great song, and no mistake. Look at the other songs it beat that year to make it to the the finals. That's what I call stiff competition.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '...other songwriters...' it should've read.

      JM

      Delete
  5. I'm here for Dave Mackay. What a player! Hearts, the Spurs' double team and then managing Derby Co (I've missed bits out I know!).

    I'm a massive Tull fan but only got on board from 2nd alb Stand Up onwards and perversely have always (and still do) blanked debut This Was. We all have our idiosyncrasies!

    ReplyDelete