Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 August 2024

Beg, Steal or Borrow. Part

 


For the final time George writes:

More from the much-maligned popsters The New Seekers, and what is not to like about this song?




It compares well to the original by Ms Safka:


Speaking of whom, we (my partner and I) have been watching that series Black Mirror, where we heard this brilliant song (that I have on my “best of Melanie” album, Beautiful People, track 12), and this is, as I am prone to say, the absolute bifters of a song:



Simply glorious. And I’m sure Ernie 27 Leggies Goggins agrees with me, judging by his published appreciations of Ms Safka (here and here).


So the final set of songs for this all-too-brief series. And it will not include the ten minute dreary dirge by the Swans. (I think the word dreary might be superfluous). But I do have this, a quite superb rhythm and blues track by James Brown and his Famous Flames


James Brown -Begging, begging


For the “steal” track, I could break the rules (á la Rol) and include here Thieves Like Us. But of course I will not, rules are rules. According to my spreadsheet, this next band comes right after Turkish superstar Barris Manço. And this splendid anthemic track is from the first Manic Street Preachers album I bought:


Manic Street Preachers - You Stole the Sun from my Heart


I was looking for a decent cover version, but all I could find was this disturbing video, in which the young woman, or girl, looks like she is being held hostage:



And for the final track in this all-too-short series, and it’s from one of our (Mr CC and I) favourite country singers (from pre 2000 - Ed):


Dwight Yoakam and Earl Scruggs - Borrowed Love


But what’s this???? My favourite Italian bluegrass band have their own version of the song:


Mismountain Boys


The entire album is a mere €5 plus IVA.


But that’s not the final song. This is:


Ry La Montagne & the Prairie Dogs - Beg, Steal or Borrow


The final song, that is, if you don’t count this, from Aberdeen’s finest female pop singer:



As always, many thanks to my good friend Mr CC for hosting this. I’ll be buying him an OVD and lemonade when we meet up (shortly after this is published, I think) (A couple of weeks - Ed)


Enjoy the music


CC writes:

Thanks George. More New Seekers that you can throw a shitty stick at.

I look forward to the OVD. I think I've earned it!

7 comments:

  1. I share George's enthusiasm for Melanie but if we are in the business of preferring covers to originals I'll take "Brand New Combine Harvester" over "Brand New Key" every time. Although I may just be saying that because someone needs to step in and play the role of contrarian commentator when George is unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very poor editing by me this week, I've managed to link to the wrong Melanie song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, yet another error, I was informed yesterday that Eve Graham comes from Auchterarder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't get the staff!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clearing that up. As someone from the Aberdeen area I didn't think we'd ever claimed her as one of our own.
      She did have a lovely voice though.

      Delete
  4. You Stole The Sun sounded fantastic when the Manics played Castlefield Bowl in July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a Manics fan by any stretch but You Stole The Sun has the most fabulous start but then goes off as it unwinds and then they bring the killer bit back before repeating the chorus bit I don't like and then that sweet catchy opening section comes back once more before they lose it again. Why do some bands do this? Ruin a great song by adding spoiling passages. There are other examples if I could be arsed to think of them! A future thread? Great songs that are ruined by a rubbish middle eight. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete