Search This Blog

Monday 12 August 2024

All We Could Do Was Sing

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 51 - Port O'Brien - All We Could Do Was Sing

All We Could Do Was Sing  the third album by Oakland band Port O'Brien  from 2008 was part of the 3 for 50p haul which has already yielded Acid Haze.

I was going to say that it was a total shot in the dark but even although I had never heard of them the fact that the album is on the City Slang label sealed the deal.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got round to listening to it. It is described by The Line of Best Fit as a "not quite" concept album based loosely on the sea

There are obvious comparisons with Arcade Fire which is no bad thing. They also toured with Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse and were named by M.Ward as his favourite new band. Good company to keep as I'm sure you will agree.

It was also critically well received receiving a Metacritic rating of 78/11 based on 11 reviews.

The band released a further album Threadbare in 2009 prior to calling it a day in 2009.

16.66 pence well spent. One more to go


Port O'Brien - I Woke Up Today

Port O'Brien - My Eyes Won't Shut

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea what I would be hearing here, despite your references. Not too shabby (as someone of my acquaintance might say), possibly a bit too shouty though on that first track

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was called All We Could Do Was Sin!

    ReplyDelete