Search This Blog

Thursday 15 August 2024

Fill Your Head With Prog

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 52 - Various Artists - Fill Your Head With Prog.

As part of a recent 3 for 50p purchase I put my prejudices to one side as I picked up Fill Your Head With Prog an Uncut compilation from July 2007.

It says on the cover that it contains 11 mind bending classics see here and so with an open mind I gave it a listen.

God God Almighty I have never heard such drivel in all my days, It is unlistenable. I have a good mind to head back to Newton Stewart and demand a rebate of 16.66p.

I'm not sure that I want to sully a charity shop with this but rather than throw it out (which is very tempting) I may save it for an assignation in September.

I would rather eat my own ear wax than listen to this again.

These three tracks are chosen at random as they are all as bad as each other

Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horsemen

String Driven Thing - Night Club

Steve Hillage - Hurdy Gurdy Man



11 comments:

  1. You are a fool to yourself CC. I can't speak for the rest of the CD but '4 Horsemen' and 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' are classics. I imagine at least one other reader might agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now looked at the track listing and can see your point with some of the others - definitely stretching the definitions of both 'classics' and 'prog'.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with Ernie. The rest of the CD was too experimental and doesn't show the peak of prog. And String Driven Thing is just a good blues-rock song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sixteen and two-thirds pence for this? A total steal. I can offer a trade: an OVD for the cd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with Aphrodite's Child. Proper stuff. And I run a mile from almost anything labelled Prog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did someone call my name? I'm with Ernie (and Walter) on this. You say you put your prejudices to one side on this but....did you? .....really? LOL. The Four Horsemen is a great track featuring of course Vangelis and Demis Roussos as I'm sure you know. With prog tracks the old grey whistle test doesn't really apply as they demand a longer listen before you can fairly sack them off. I'd be the first to admit though that much of prog is unlistenable self-indulgent noodling drivel but that there are gems within.

    ReplyDelete