Search This Blog

Thursday 6 June 2024

Pain Killer

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 35 - Energy Orchard - Pain Killer

On a recent jaunt we visited the Canine Rescue charity shop in Newton Stewart or as we like to call it, on account of the smell, The Dead Dog Shop.

The smell not withstanding the staff are very friendly and the CDs are really cheap. I came away with eight which I paid £2 for in total which was well over the odds. What can I say, I'm the generous sort! 

One was Pain Killer the 1995 fourth album by Northern Irish band Energy Orchard on the Castle label. They released one more before they called it a day. Had I had it earlier it may have been under consideration for  my Home Nations series.

 I was familiar with the band's name due to previously purchasing an album by their lead singer Bap Kennedy who apparently I once saw at King Tuts but I wasn't familiar with their music.

It started off fairly promisingly but soon morphed into what I would describe as Celtic Rock. In small doses this can be as a good thing but not in this instance. Hotpress write that Pain Killer is primarily big music with a heavy emphasis on 1980s’ production values – fat drum sounds, layered guitar textures with Hammond organ fills and rousing epic vocals. As I said - alright in small doses but not necessarily a good thing. It is of its time although it seems that it took the 80's a wee while to reach Belfast!


I don't think it is a keeper. I also picked up another one of theirs but I haven't plucked up the courage to listen to it yet!


Energy Orchard -Wasted

Energy Orchard - Remember My Name


3 comments:

  1. So they rescue the dogs then kill them? They should be reported (but only after you have bought all the cheap CDs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in a charity shop the other day where they had some ridiculous offer like 4 CDs for 50p. I had to fight to make the bloke behind the counter take a quid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently had the job of clearing out my in-laws house and amongst many other things offloading to charity shops, loads of albs & audio cassettes (yes they say they still want them!) of the 60s and 70s typically including Bert Kaempfert, Ray Conniff, Mike Sammes' Singers, Richard Clayderman, James Galway and suchlike. This could become a first, whereby the charity actually pays its customers to take these items off their shelves. Honestly, who buys Richard Clayderman these days?

    ReplyDelete