Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 June 2024

Chemicrazy

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 34 - That Petrol Emotion - Chemicrazy

You will probably not be surprised to hear that while we were in St Andrews to see Karine Polwart  I took the opportunity to have a quick trawl of the town's Charity Shops.

Slim pickings I'm afraid but I did come away with Chemicrazy the 4th album by That Petrol Emotion from April 1990 and on the Virgin label. I have their first three on vinyl but this is my first on CD.

After an initial listen I would say that it is a bit more laid back than some of its predecessors and for what it's worth I quite like it .Produced by Scott Litt of R.E.M. fame it is their first since the departure of main songwriter John O'Neill.

The reviews on rateyourmusic.com are fairly positive with one contributor describing it as a melting pot of what was great about indie music in the late 80's /early 90's.

I also picked up Traces by Son Volt but when I got back to the hotel I found that there was no CD in the box. Yes, I had committed the school boy error of not checking before purchasing. All is not lost, however, as I have the extended 20th Anniversary release digitally although it would have been nice to have it in a physical format.

That Petrol Emotion - Sensitize

That Petrol Emotion - Tingle



5 comments:

  1. What was the cost for each CD? Just curious to compare with the states. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. £1.00
    Range from £1.99 to 3 for 50p.
    Second hand equivalent CDs in Record Shops about 3 for £5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rookie move not checking for the CD, CC. You have too much experience for such amateurism. Eye on the prize! We are counting on you. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've let you down in this instance I'm afraid!

      Delete
  4. This has made me realise that I never check whether there's a disc in the case when I buy a charity CD and so far I've never had one that's been empty. Have I been lucky or is it just that Sheffield's charity shops are more assiduous? Haven't played my copy of this alb for many years but I remember being rather disappointed in it as a follow up to the one that had Cellophane on and the name of which escapes me!

    ReplyDelete