Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 June 2024

Homeland

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 36 - Tish Hinajosa - Homeland

I have long been an admirer of San Antonio's Tex-Mex country folk singer Tish Hinojosa  who sings in both Spanish and English

I have had 1992 album Culture Swing  for years and was fortunate enough to see her play at Glasgow's Cottiers Theatre.

I have written about her here before from as far back as my 2013 in my Mexican Monday series

Therefore I was pretty chuffed to pick up Homeland her 2nd album from 1989 on A&M for pennies in the Canine Rescue (aka Dead Dog) charity shop in Newton Stewart. I struck lucky in that there were a few Americana type CDs up for grabs

She sings in both Spanish and English and as an added bonus she is joined by the great Flaco Jiminez on accordion.

Homeland is a mix of  her love for her parent's humble Mexican heritage and language mixed with idealistic American images of a musical future. It works for me. She has a wonderful voice in both languages.

Tish Hinojosa - Joaquin

Tish Hinojosa - Donde Voy (Where I Go)

My spreadsheet tells me that this is the 100th CD I have by an artist beginning with H!

2 comments:

  1. Ah! So that's the explanation of Dead Dog - the curse of working backwards through your posts! As for Tish Hinojosa, I quickly aborted the first track but was rather taken by Donde Voy - minor key probaby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was impressed enough by your 100th CD beginning with H claim that I just had to count my own. I'm not competive........but I have 109. Anybody improve on that?

    ReplyDelete