Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 June 2024

Global-a-Go-Go

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 39 - Various Artists - Global -A-Go- Go

Space has dictated that I am cutting back on Compilations and for the majority of those still in boxes digitising them and packing them off to charity.

However I couldn't resist picking this one up particularly as it only cost me pennies as part of the Newton Stewart Dead Dog haul

From Uncut in October 2007 it is a CD celebrating 20 years of World Music. As you can see from the tracklist Global-A-Go-Go  includes many of whom you would describe as the usual suspects - Robert Plant, Ry Cooder and Damon Albarn. Only Peter Gabriel is missing. I suppose they should be thanked for helping to bring "World" music to a wider audience.

There is a concentration on African music (from Mali in particular) which suits me just fine and is pretty much the reason I picked it up.

The Tinariwen and Rachid Taha tracks have appeared here before so here are Mahmoud Ahmed from Ethiopia and a couple from Mali.

Despite the inclusion of Rock el Casbah it is not to be confused with the album of the same name by Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros


Mahmoud Ahmed - Atawurulegn Lela

Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba (ft Lobi Traore) - Banani

Ali Farka Toure - Penda Yoro

Apologies to the relevant artists but I haven't yet mastered the art of typing e-acutes, etc. I'll book myself in with Ernie for a lesson!


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Apologies, I meant excellent selection. No Joe Strummer but Mick Jones does appear on Rachid Taha's "Rock El Casbah" and made a guest appearance when I saw Mr Taha live.

      Delete
  2. Copy and paste! That's how I do it.

    ReplyDelete