Search This Blog

Saturday 8 June 2024

Saturday Shuffle 55

 


Let's kick off the Shuffle with a relatively obscure Scottish power pop and New Wave band who somehow found their way onto one of the best compilation albums of all time. I refer of course to That Summer! (tracklist here) the soundtrack from a distinctly average film of the same name.  Zones are that band and they  pitch in with their song New Life. I know that Brian will have enjoyed that.

I don't think that the mighty Link Wray was ever described as distinctly average especially when he applies his surf guitar technique to the old Country classic Rawhide.

Finally we have the Pipettes who are  cleverly turning the tables on pervy men with their song I Like a Boy In Uniform (School Uniform)

More distinctly above average shuffling next Saturday

Zones - New Life

Link Wray - Rawhide

The Pipettes - I Like a Boy in Uniform (School Uniform)


4 comments:

  1. 'That Summer!' was a great compilation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that Zones song, haven't heard it in decades - took me right back...rather aptly, to school uniform...
    Just before we moved to where we are now, we were viewing some places in the next village and there was a little old cottage with a big outbuilding, rather weirdly the place was called 'Rawhide'. I wonder if that's because they used to use the outbuilding for leather-working, like a tannery or something, I thought, so I asked the estate agent. "The last owner was just a fan of the TV series!" he told us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have talked about That Summer to death, but I’ll just say this one by Zones was not a bit out of place beside the greats on the soundtrack.

    I thought I had just about everything from this era of the Pipettes. This song is completely new to me. Will seek this one out. Thanks. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear comments relating to all three songs

    ReplyDelete