Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 June 2024

On Your Bike -Martin

 


We are fast approaching the  Champs-Élysées stage of this series and who better, with champagne flute in hand, to bring us close to the finishing line than Martin

Yes I'm talking about the man who  fairly recently cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats to raise money for Alzheimers.

Joining him on this leisurely lap are three debutants for these pages and an old favourite.

We shall start with Nine  Million Bicycles  by Katie Melua from her album Piece By Piece .It is on the shelves but I don't think I have ever listed to it unless you count osmosis. I'm pretty sure that I used to have a cover of this which may or may not have involved Aidan Moffat. It was written by Mike Batt apparently.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers are not on the shelves and that is something that I intend to continue. Having said that I have no issue in including Martin's suggestion of Bicycle Song.

Now for something which is much better altogether. From as far back as 1970 here are Australian band The Mixtures with the great The Pushbike Song from their In the Summer Time album.

On the subject of greatness I give you Pete Shelley with the Tour de France Theme from Channel 4's coverage  of the event from the late 80's to the mid 90's. The race has previously also been highlighted by Krafwerk  on a previous lap.

Unless someone makes a late break from the peloton I will bring the race to a conclusion next week.


Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles

Red Hot Chilli Peppers -Bicycle Song

The Mixtures -The Push Bike Song

Pete Shelley - Tour de France (Channel 4 theme)

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know the Mixtures' album was called "In The Summer Time". Further evidence that they were just a poor man's Mungo Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that the version I sourced is from a Comp of 60's/70's songs

      Delete
  2. I should add that I also pitched Bicycle Race by Queen, but Rol gazumped me on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason CC couldn't have featured it two weeks running...

      Delete
    2. Once was more than enough!

      Delete