Search This Blog

Sunday 9 June 2024

Sunday Highway Songs 10

 


Last week's comments from our American friends were very informative in terms of the respective lengths of highways and the numbering systems. And you thought that you just came here for the music.

This week I have decided to focus on Highway 30. The reason? This week's post takes us up to 30 Highway songs with still a few to go. I now know that the 0 at the end means that it is a coast to coast highway and a major east - west route.

It is 3702 miles (4,994km) in length and goes from Astoria, Oregon to Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is fascinating stuff and I could go on and on but I suspect that most of you are here for the music.

Let's start with Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Who knew that they had any songs other than You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet? Here they advocate that we continue to Roll On Down The Highway something we propose to do for a couple more weeks. If only Bike songs were this prolific

I'm not sure whether Charley Pride had Highway 30 in mind when he sang This Highway Leads to Glory. Given that it ends at Atlantic City probably not.

Finally Steve Earle makes his second appearance in this series starting further South as he sings of the Hillbilly Highway heading towards Detroit .

We begin to near the end of the Highway next Sunday.


Bachman Turner Overdrive - Roll On Down The Highway

Charley Pride - This Highway Leads to Glory

Steve Earle - Hillbilly Highway

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I would expect nothing less from a surfer of the zeitgeist.

      Delete
    2. I did not know, and after 54 seconds I wish I still did not know. The Charley Pride track is of course a great listen

      Delete