Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 May 2023

The Mexican

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #53 The Fentones  -The Mexican (Vinyl 45)

Yesterday's post of Trampoline by Julian Cope is also responsible for today's post. I should perhaps elaborate . The Trampolene single came in a pretty battered gatefold sleeve. Oh good I thought, another couple of songs by Julian. Oh no, that would be far to straight forward.

Rather it turned out that the second single was The Mexican  an instrumental song by The Fentones from 1962. It did trouble the UK singles chart for 3 weeks peaking at number 41. It is only slightly younger than me which may go some way to explaining why it is quite crackly.

The Fentones also charted as the backing band of Shane Fenton. It turns out that Shane Fenton was actually not a real person but rather the stage name of Johnny Theakstone and when he died Bernard Jury. More details here Let's face it stuff like this is the reason why you come here.

I'm thinking of them as a poor man's Shadows.

In the very early days of CCM a decade ago I did a 12 part series called Mexican Monday If I had had a copy of this song at that time it may well have been extended to a Mexican Baker's Dozen

The Fentones -The Mexican

The Fentones - Lover's Guitars

2 comments:

  1. Bernard Jury went on to become Alvin Stardust after his stint as Shane Fenton. I think he may have legally changed his name to Fenton because my cousin taught at a school where Bernard/ Shane/ Alvin's son was the headmaster and he was Mr Fenton (not Mr Stardust, disappointingly)

    ReplyDelete