Search This Blog

Sunday 21 May 2023

An A-Z of American Cities - E

 


I was all set to post The Road to Ensenada the title track of a Lyle Lovett album until I discovered it was actually in Mexico. This had me scrabbling about for a bit but I eventually managed to come up with four.

Let's start with the most obvious one and it is one that you will all be familiar with. Here is Marty Robbins wrongly stating that El Paso is a town. It might have been back in the days of the cowboys but it is now a city with a population of 679K 81% of whom are Hispanic. It is situated on the Texas side of the Rio Grande opposite Cludad Juarez on the Mexican side.

From this week's biggest city to the smallest. Eudora is a city in Chicot County, Arkansas with a population of 2269 of whom 83% are black. It has a lovely water tower and according to Tony Joe White it is the place that they caught the Devil and puy him in jail.

For some strange reason I had it in my head that there was a place called Elk City and fortunately for me there is. It is situated in Beckham County .Oklahoma  with a population of 11693 at the 2010 census Fortunately I was able to to find a song by Samantha Crain with the same title.

Anyone from the West of Scotland will be familiar with the fortified wine Eldorado or LD or Electric Soup as it is often commonly known as.I thought that El Dorado was a mythical place and Google confirms this being associated with the legend of a gold city/kingdom.But wait- there is actually a city called El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas with a population of 12,832 making it the 28th largest city in Kansas.It is 93% white. A band called Oakley Hall have a song called If I Was in El Dorado on an Uncut compilation called The New Frontier - Americana The Next Generation. I'm not sure if it is about the town in Kansas but no matter. It's in the title so therefore it is going on.

I find these ethnicity percentages fascinating with an almost exlusive but different ethnic majority in each area. I wonder if there would be similar findings in the UK?

F is proving harder than I first thought but I'm just about there

Marty Robbins - El Paso

Tony Joe White - They Caught the Devil and Put Him in Jail in Eudora, Arkansas

Samantha Crain -Elk City

Oakley Hall -If I Was in El Dorado


5 comments:

  1. You may not want to have Marty Robbins every week but I can provide his 'Franklin, Tennessee' if you are short

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      I'll see how I get on.Got a couple up my sleeve

      Delete
  2. You did well with E cities as I couldn't spot many at all.

    You'd better watch out, getting into all the stats, facts and figures about places - I should know as I can get lost in such things for hours. Just don't try to memorise any as that can hurt your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love a bit of swampy Tony Joe White.
    Enjoying your facts and figures too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would pass on the Oakley Hall but liked the others - Samantha Crain is new to me but she's got a distinctive voice I'd like to hear more. Marty's El Paso is up there in the Pantheon

    ReplyDelete