Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 May 2023

Gordon Lightfoot

 


The sad news came in yesterday that the Canadian singer songwriter Gordon Lightfoot has died aged 84.

For years I was only vaguely familiar with his music via the song  The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. However a couple of years ago I was at a gig where the DJ playing prior to the bands played a song which completely blew me away. A quick Google search informed me that it was a song of his called Sundown.

Around the same time there was a TV series called The Serpent based on the true story of a man robbing and murdering tourists along the Far East hippie trail.The theme tune to the series was Gordon's If You Could Read My Mind. A song which I was only familiar with courtesy of the Johnny Cash cover

When I previously mentioned my lack of knowledge of his songs Ernie very kindly stepped up to the plate and provided me with a very large selection of his other tunes.

Sundown you better take care. Rest easy Gordon. 

Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind


1 comment:

  1. I can't keep up with all the deaths at the moment. Hadn't heard about Gordon. He was a fine songwriter.

    ReplyDelete