Search This Blog

Saturday 27 May 2023

The Saturday Shuffle 6

 


First up today are the Temptations with their version of the Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong classic War. That will be the cover of the Edwyn Starr version I thought. It turns out, however, that they were the first to record it on their 1970 album Psychedelic Shack.Motown decided not to release it as a single so as not to alienate their more conservative fans. It was then re-recorded by Edwyn and the rest is history.

Someone else with a bit of history is Jah Wobble erstwhile bassist with Public Image Limited . In 1982 he formed his own band Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart. The first song on their debut album Rising Above Bedlam with Visions of You (including vocal input from Sinead O'Connor) as the opening track.

Finally for this week we have a track from the album Satis Factory the 2019 second album by Mattiel. My school boy French is pretty rusty so I have had to rely on Google Translator to inform me that Je Ne Me Connais Pas translates into English as I Don't Know Myself.

CCM where even Saturdays are school days.

The Temptations - War

Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart - Visions of You

Mattiel - Je Ne Me Connais Pas

3 comments:

  1. I can't let this post go without a comment! An excellent trio of tunes, CC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't imagine where you discovered that Mattiel track but glad you did - Je Ne Me Connais Pas has a certain Je Ne Sais Quoi about it and I've added it to my collection!

    ReplyDelete