Search This Blog

Sunday 28 May 2023

An A-Z of American Cities - F

 


It's beginning to get harder. Perhaps surprisingly I found it much harder to come up with four cities beginning with F than I did for E but I just about made it.

Fredericksburg by alt country band Say ZuZu was first on my list.Originally I thought it referred to the Christmas city of Texas with a population of 11K which is also known for it's wineries. Listening to the song, however, it appears to be about the independent city in Virginia with a population of 28K.An independent city as I have just discovered is a city that is not in the territory of any county or counties and is considered a primary administrative division of its state. Given its geographical position it was the scene of two battles during the American Civil War.

Fort Worth is the 5th largest city in Texas with a population of just under a million.Remarkably the population has nearly doubled since 2000. As the name suggests it also has military history being first established as an army outpost. I've gone for a song by Steve Earle from his El Corazon album but there was also one by Johnny Dowd in contention.

This is were I just about ran out of steam until I discovered that Folson of Folson Prison Blues fame is a city in Sacramento County, California with a population of 80K.It also has a zoo.You will all be familiar with Johnny Cash so I'm giving you the Mekons instead.

I was now totally stuck so I took up Ernie's suggestion of Franklin, Tennessee by Marty Robbins who is appearing here for the second week running. Situated just south of Nashville and with a population of 85K it also featured in the American Civil war with the Battle of Franklin being one of the bloodiest battles of the war.

Wars and prisons. What will G bring? This is also proving to be a tough one

Say ZuZu - Fredericksburg

Steve Earle - Ft. Worth Blues

The Mekons -Folsom Prison Blues

Marty Robbins - Franklin, Tennessee

8 comments:

  1. I can help with Glendale, Greencastle and Gettysburg if required (assuming Gettysburg is a place not just a battle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be appreciated got 2 or 3 but ideally need 4

      Delete
    2. I have the Neil Young album Glendale which unfortunately contains no songs with the neme in the title.

      Delete
  2. Great post & selections, CC.

    For G, I can recommend 88 Seconds In Greensboro by OMD, a song about the infamous massacre in the North Carolina town in 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this series CC.

    I notice there is a city called Greenacres - Not really a song but in my head I can still hear the theme tune to that American sitcom from our childhood.

    I suspect Mr Campbell will be putting in an appearance next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me, Alyson. My computer seems to have logged me out.

      Delete
  4. Liked the Steve Earle track - as for G it's looking tough from my cursory run though of US cities - Marvin Gaye could come to your aid if you're struggling and prepared to bend a little!

    ReplyDelete