Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 May 2023

Shadows

 


My second Teenage Fanclub purchase from my recent visit to Love Music. I thought I should give you a few days following my recent post of Here .When I took my haul to the counter Sandy, the proprietor, harrumphed "this one will take a couple of listens"
I've duly done so and I'm pleased to say it passed muster.

Shadows was their 9th studio album from 2010 on their own PeMa label or their 8th "proper" album if you exclude The King. It succeeded 2005's Man-Made and preceded the aforementioned Here.

12 songs - four each by Gerry Love, Norman Blake and Raymond McGinley with Norman's Baby Lee being released as a single.

It was reasonably well received with the Guardian saying that it delivers what one expects:gentle ,bittersweet guitar pop, which harks back to the 60's without descending into pastiche.Well if it ain't broke ... 

AllMusic describes the songs as sun-drenched and relaxed (no bad thing) PopMatters feel it is an album where the sound of the grown-up Teenage Fanclub comes to full fruition. It’s joyful, but also very thoughtful, carefree and yet aware of its surroundings.

A song each then from the three main protagonists  - Sometimes I Don't Need to Believe in Anything from Gerry, the single mentioned above from Norman and Raymond's Tomorrow Never Ends.

Nothing more from The Fannies for a bit - promise  - although I have still to upgrade my burn of Man-Made and I've just noticed that I've yet to feature Howdy!

Teenage Fanclub - Sometimes I Don't Need to Believe in Anything

Teenage Fanclub - Baby Lee

Teenage Fanclub - Today Never Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment