Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 May 2023

Paper Trails

 


Dropkick are a band who come from Edinburgh less than 50 miles away from where I am sitting typing this.
They have been on the go since 2001 but despite their proximity they only came to my attention via Brian's Best of 2020 list. That's right it took someone from Seattle to introduce someone from Glasgow to an Edinburgh band!

He described their 2020 album The Scenic Route thus They're a little bit country (early Jayhawks) and a little bit rock 'n' roll (Teenage Fanclub around 'Songs From Northern Britain') and have somehow improved upon 2018 album 'Longwave...' and that's saying a lot.

Obviously that was enough for me to pull the trigger and The Scenic Route was duly purchased. Shortly after that the released a Best Of double album with 30 tracks (with an additional 20 on the accompanying CDs). That was pretty handy given that their back catalogue extends to some 18 records.This does not include lead singer Andrew Taylor's solo work or his three albums as part of The Boys With The Perpetual Nervousness. More details available here I note that they have just released yet another one The Wireless Revolution

I've made a slight inroad into the back catalogue with the purchase of a the  CD of Paper Trails their 12th album from 2012 on Sound Asleep Records.A good find given that it appears to be sold out on Bandcamp.I'm happy to report it does not deviate too far from Brian's description above.

On the back of this I have purchased a ticket to see them in August.







3 comments:

  1. You have picked up an old Dropkick album I don't own. You announce news of an album that just came out last week I didn't know about at all. You have tickets to see them this summer. That's quite a trifecta. I'm filled with a mix of envy and excitement. Listening to the Wireless Revolution right now and am off to order it as soon as I'm done blathering on here. Woo-hoo! Thanks, pal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hear some Jayhawks and some Teenage Fanclub in there - but as those are two of my favorite bands of the last 30 years, I'm not complaining. Good stuff! -- Marc

      Delete
  2. I also picked up on these guys from Brian's post. How could a band this good have been going for so long and been so prolific yet flown so completely under my radar? Enjoy the show CC, sadly they rarely seem to venture south of the border. Thanks again for the heads up Brian.

    ReplyDelete