Search This Blog

Friday 19 May 2023

Ubangi Stomp

 


When I was listening to Hard Luck Guy by Eddie Hinton in preparation for Wednesday's post I was reminded that he did a version of the Rockabilly classic Ubangi Stomp which got quite demented in places.

This got me thinking about other versions of this song which I could post today. You will all be familiar with the Blogging rule that if you are going to post Rockabilly it has to be on a Friday.

Ubangi Stomp was written by Charles Underwood and first released on record by Warren Smith on the Sun Records label in 1956. There have been many recordings of this song and I have come up with four. Sadly I do not have the versions by Alice Cooper or John Prine  I'm starting with Mr Smith and then fellow Rockabilly singer Carl Mann who also recorded it on Sun.
Then we have the aforementioned version by Eddie and finally the Stray Cats with a studio version and a live version from the Rumble in Brixton concert.

I look forward to Ubangi featuring in Ernie's African Odyssey








4 comments:

  1. About as likely as Tommy Steele's 'Nairobi' and 'Rocking in the Congo' appearing I would think. Although I am currently a bit short of material for our visit to the Central African Republic (formerly the French colony of Ubangi-Shari) so you never know.

    And don't think you've fooled me by doing this on a Friday not a Sunday. I have my eye on you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only knew this through the Stray Cats cover which probably remains my favourite (even including John Prine who I checked out on YT) but intrigued by Warren Smith's version as I only know one other of his tracks which has been a much played favourite in my iTunes library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of cheap Sun Rockabilly comps out there which are worth picking up.

      Delete
  3. You really can't go wrong with a bit of Ubangi Stomp. Thanks, CC!

    ReplyDelete