Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 July 2021

Granite Years

 



2021 Charity Shop Purchases 40  - Oysterband  - Granite Years (Best of ... 1986 to '97)

After unsuccessful charity shot forays in Ballantrae, Stranraer and Wigtown I was getting a bit twitchy by the time we visited Newton Stewart.

The Community Shop had a large collection of CDs and I was determined not to leave empty handed. That proved harder than I first thought. I eventually plumped for Granite Years a 2000 Best of  Oyersterband compilation on Cooking Vinyl.

A band that I was only aware of from a track on each of  the three Cooking Vinyl Samplers that I have from 1993 and 1994.

A quite earnest folk rock band from Canterbury who had a political outlook. The music is pleasant enough but nothing particularly stands out. They seem to me to be a somewhat nicer and gentler version of the Pogues or the Levellers who you could take home to meet your mum.

Not entirely convinced that this one is a keeper. Not necessarily because it is bad but rather because it is one that I can't really see me playing all that often.I haven't managed to get through all 30 tracks yet.

Oysterband - Granite Years

Oysterband - Another Quiet Night in England (1994)

Oysterband - Coal Not Dole/Bells of Rhymney



4 comments:

  1. Well, you learn something every day, I had always thought they were from Whitstable. Perhaps I was misled by the titular oysters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Bob Dylan, Oysterband are very possibly the musical act I've seen in concert most, 30-odd times from the late 1980s up to around 2002. They were a phenomenal live band during that period and also released a stream of great albums. After a long gap I caught up with them again in late 2018 and once more in mid-2019, but, for whatever reason, the moment had passed, for me at least and I didn't really enjoy the shows in the same way. I won't seek them out in concert again, but these tunes take me back to the halcyon days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those acts who would be better live than on record I suspect

      Delete
  3. Flicked past Oysterband in the CD racks thousands of times down the years and they've never troubled the scorers as they say but I was quite taken by the Another Quiet Night In England track and downloaded it (dues will be paid to charity of course). The title itself is a great one to include in future themed compilations. I wonder whether this coming Sunday evening will fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete