Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Expecting To Fly

 

 
2020 Charity Shop Purchase 30 - Expecting To Fly  - The Bluetones

I've seen the above album many times in charity shops.It has a lovely cover. I knew it was by The Bluetones but had no idea as to the title.
I have now learnt that it is Expecting to Fly their 1996 debut album on the Superior Quality label and one which knocked (What's the Story) Morning Glory? off of the number 1 slot. So that's a plus point in its favour right away.
The name Bluetones rang a vague bell. I knew they were a Brit Pop band but that was pretty much it. Normally it is one which wouldn't have tempted me but it my first post lockdown charity excursion.

It is pleasant enough if nothing startling. I did however recognise the song Slight Return not that I could have told you it's name. Apparently it reached number 2 in the UK singles charts being denied the top slot by Spaceman by Babylon Zoo another one which passed me by. I had clearly stopped paying attention to the singles charts by then.



I've still to decide whether this one is a keeper



4 comments:

  1. Two nice pop songs today! I have a very off-centre 7 inch pressing of Slight Return

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a keeper. It's basically their greatest hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this band, much better than the overblown bollocks of Oasis. Great songs on here, though I actually prefer their next couple of records, particularly the one that contains Marblehead Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two tracks are probably their best although Marblehead Johnson is OK. Incidentally, they'd never get away with doing their video for that song these days. You stopped following the charts a quarter of a century ago? I think I made it to just before the millenium. Any pop quiz question starting "Which artist had a 2001 hit with......." has me heading for the bar.

    ReplyDelete