Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 January 2020

Odessey and Oracle


Confession time - I didn't know Rod Argent was in The Zombies! I'll get my coat
I knew that Colin Blunstone was and that they had a song called She's Not There but only because a version appeared on the  Moonflower album by Santana.

So clearly some homework required. Recently I have become vaguely aware that Odessey and Oracle their second studio album from 1968 is considered their masterpiece and has attained a degree of cult status.
Therefore I acquired a copy to see what the fuss is all about.
It is no No Other another album that has achieved cult status but it is rather good.

Released slap bang in the middle of the Flower Power revolution it is no surprise that it is somewhat psychedelic in nature. The cover alone is a giveaway.
I can also hear shades of Pet Sounds and there are a few nods towards the folk scene.

A pleasant discovery

The Zombies - A Rose for Emily

The Zombies - Time of the Season

5 comments:

  1. The blokes at Highway 61 record shop, when it moved to Wolverhampton, tried to persuade me to buy this album. They failed in that mission

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that "Time of the Season" was a hit in the USA but not in the UK and so The Zombies did better in America than they did back home.
    I was never a fan, even though one of my early flatmates was a cousin of Rod Argent (around the time of "God Gave Rock & Roll To You" - written by Rod Argent and another song of his I didn't like).

    On a related note, I think Zombies' vocalist Colin Blunstone's "Say You Don't Mind" is fab. Incredible vocal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this album. Some wonderful songs on it, 'Care Of Cell #44' probably being my favourite. Definitely a classic of the period, I'm really surprised (and saddened) there isn't more love for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be in my top 10 albums for the entire decade. Right up there with the Left Banke as perfect examples of baroque pop. Time of the Season was huge over here, as was mentioned, but I think it's about the 6th best song. It's funny because Time of the Season feels like a tacked on song that doesn't really go with the rest of the album. If, like you, I chose two songs to share, I would go with Care of Cell #44 and either This Will Be Our Year or A Rose for Emily. To the rest of you out there, buy this album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that Time of the Season seems slightly out of place Brian but still a great song

      Delete