Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 May 2019

Peel Sessions - The Specials (Side 2 )


I suspect that today's offering is probably a lot more up most reader's street than yesterday's.
There is an argument that many will subscribe to that The Specials were equally important in their own way to shaping British music as The Beatles. You certainly won't get any disagreement from this quarter.

I posted Side 1 of The Peel Sessions EP (Strange Fruit SFP018)  featuring a session recorded on 23rd May 1979 and subsequently transmitted on 29th May in November 2017
At the time I said I would get round to featuring Side 2 shortly. Better late than never I suppose.
I've just realised that if I'd left it a couple of more weeks it could have coincided with 40th anniversary of its recording. 40 years .Where does all the time go?

Here is Concrete Jungle followed by their version of the Toots Hibbert classic Monkey Man.

The Specials - Concrete Jungle (Peel Session)

The Specials -Monkey Man (Peel Session)

2 comments:

  1. Where does all the time go indeed? I remember listening to the session in my boyfriend's bedroom as it went out on air... how scarily long ago. Great stuff still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone from far outside the airwaves of the Beeb, all I can say is thank goodness for Peel's Strange Fruit releases. Long before the days of quality reissues with bonus tracks and box sets those import 12" releases were the only way for us over here to listen to gems like these. This one from the Specials is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete