Search This Blog

Friday 1 December 2017

Decemberists


I picked by The Crane Wife a 2006 album by The Decemberists a couple of months ago and it seems too good an opportunity not to feature it today.
I wasn't particularly impressed first time round but it sounded slightly better second time around so maybe it is a grower.At the moment I remain to be convinced that it is a keeper.
The album was inspired by a Japanese folk tale. I'll let Wiki tell the story so I don't have to
Produced by the ubiquitous Tucker Martine

The Crane Wife 3 is the first track on the album with The Crane Wife 1& 2 being track 9. This annoys me far more than it ought to.

The Decemberists -The Crane Wife 3

The Decemberists - Sons & Daughters

7 comments:

  1. I think those songs are placed in that order because Colin Meloy is an awkward b**ger.

    The Crane Wife is a decent album, but my favourite track from it would be "Shankill Butchers", but that's probably because I'd read the book of that name a long while before and it scared the hell out of me. Listening to that track brought the scariness back.

    My favourite Decemberists' album is "The King Is Dead", if only for "Down by the Water". There's a live video of that with Gillian Welch which is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting Part 3 before Parts 1 and 2 is probably just the album equivalent of films that start in the present time and fill in the story in flashbacks. Which, come to think of it, is also very annoying.

    For what it is worth I quite like the Decemberists, although they can be a bit self-consciously weedy at times

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first track is not too shabby. I could do without that Sons and Daughters one though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a grower... Though I think they've done better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right. I have to declare an interest here - I love The Decemberists almost beyond measure. I've only seen them a handful of times but each occasion persuades me not only of their greatness but of Colin Meloy being one of the great frontmen of the modern indie era. In terms of vocal distinction he's up there with Michael Stipe - Pseuds corner alert I know but I stand by it. I highly recommend ALL their albums

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Valencia is a great song. Another album to listen to tonight.

    ReplyDelete