Search This Blog

Thursday 11 July 2024

Vagrant Stanzas

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 47 - Martin Simpson - Vagrant Stanzas

After York, Newcastle becomes only the second location in England where I have made charity purchases. I have however bought many CDs in previous visits to Newcastle.

I haven't written very much about Blog Con 24 which was recently held on the banks of the Tyne. Alyson neatly covers it here. Suffice to say it was great to catch up with everyone again and to meet Ernie for the first time. A god time was had by all.

Ernie and I took the opportunity to go  for a spot of charity shopping in the town centre. He came away with two (plus one bought in a record shop) and I managed a paltry one.

From the picture above you will surmise that it was Vagrant Stanzas by the folk guitarist and singer Martin Simpson from 2013 on Topic Records, It is produced by his near neighbour Richard Hawley.

This blurb from Topic gives details as to solo nature and recording of the album.

Given the location of its purchase I thought it appropriate to feature North Country Blues. I previously bought two of his albums in a charity shop in Leith so he clearly has an affinity for Eastern coast industrial towns.

Martin Simpson - Jackie and Murphy

Martin Simpson - North Country Blues




7 comments:

  1. Do I sense a slight air of disapproval in the "one bought in a record shop"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the quality not the quantity - glad you managed to pick up something you like. Ernie was impressed with your foraging technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed, as I will be explaining in more detail tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. This is intriguing. - Brian

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you both came back with some spoils - I have an abiding memory now too of Ernie's demo of your nimble rummaging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re CD purchases in England - albeit it in record shops (boo) as opposed to charity shops (hooray). I recently spent an afternoon in the 'celebrated' record shops of Brighton and found to my huge disappointment that hardly any of them had cheap or second hand CDs. I came across only one 2nd hand CD shop and even then failed to find one that interested me. So disappointed.

    ReplyDelete