Search This Blog

Sunday 7 July 2024

Single Song Sunday -Lost Highway

 


Now that the Sunday Highway Songs series has run out of tarmac I thought it would be appropriate to do a Single Song Sunday  of the song which inspired the series namely Lost Highway. I've been given permission from the great man himself who has even offered up a contribution or two.

I always thought that the song had been written by Hank Williams, the man who made the song famous, but it turns out that it was  in fact written by Leon Payne. Therefore it is only fair to feature Leon first with Hank a close second.

The version by Billy Bob Thornton,  from an Uncut compilation, inspired the series and featured on the first of the thirteen posts. In the interest of completeness you are getting it again.

The next one I thought of was the version by The Mekons from their Fear and Whiskey album although the one I downloaded is taken from the Rough Trade Shops Country 1 compilation.

I also had versions by Johnny Horton and Jason & the Scorchers which I added to the folder before looking further afield.

A quick Google or two threw up  further versions by The Handsome Family, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Townes Van Zandt.

Ernie then offered up a version by German band The Dad Horse Experience and provided a little bit of info about them

I also asked if he could offer up a Mandatory Reggae Version (MRV). Sadly he was unable to do so on this occasion but as a very acceptable alternative he provided a song by the same name from Guinea act Duuda.

For a life of sin we've paid the cost.


Leon Payne - Lost Highway

Hank Williams - Lost Highway

Billy Bob Thornton - Lost Highway

The Mekons - Lost Highway

Johnny Horton - Lost Highway

Jason & the Scorchers - Lost Highway

The Handsome Family -Lost Highway

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Lost Highway

Townes Van Zandt - Lost Highway

The Dad Horse Experience - Lost Highway




4 comments:

  1. Thank you CC. A worthy addition to the canon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the band Duuda all I can think of is "two world wars and world cup, doo-da, doo-da". I am probably the only one who thinks that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selection, CC. A complete coincidence but I added Mekons’ Fear And Whiskey to my current playlist last week, having not listened to it for a few years. Nice to be reminded what a good album it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post prompted me to play it for the first time in years

      Delete