Search This Blog

Friday 19 July 2024

I Like Birds 2

 


We started this series last week with a couple of references to little birds. It therefore seems appropriate that this week we should concentrate on big birds

Let’s start then with Eagles. Wait! Stop! Come back.  What I have in mind is not the easy listening of the Californian group but rather Golden Eagle the title track of the 2017 debut album by Holly Macvie an artist introduced to me by our dear friend The Swede

Watching a bit of the Open Golf on the telly reminded my of another bird like term like birdie or eagle to describe a score. An albatross is the term for a score of three under par on a particular hole ie a 2 on a par 5. It also refers to  the bird found in the Southern and  North Pacific Oceans with a wing span up to 11 feet. It is also the title of an instrumental by Fleetwood Mac

In addition to being a make of pipe tobacco Condor is the common name for two species of New World Vultures who may well be found on the El Condor Pasa

So like the great Eddie Floyd lets pay tribute to Big Birds.

More birds of various sizes next Friday.


Holly Macvie - Golden Eagle

Fleetwood Mac - Albatross

Simon and Garfukel - El Condor Pasa

Eddie Floyd - Big Bird












6 comments:

  1. I imagine you have several trillion songs for this series but happy to provide some more if required

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my ex-students is playing at The Open this weekend (well I say this weekend but he needs as many birdies/eagles/bird help with 5 holes to play or he's going home..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Eddie Floyd's Big Bird, superb choice.
    I'm in bird heaven at the moment, watching Kittiwake Cam (from the Baltic, Newcastle!) and the RSPB Swift Cam. Perhaps you can include migrating birds at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eddie Floyd's Big Bird is a great song but pedantic old spoil sport me has to point out it's about a plane and not a feathered friend. I've always had a soft spot for Mary Hopkin's Sparrow b side to Goodbye - there, any street cred I might have had is completely blown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered that Sparrow was written by Benny Gallagher and Graham Lyle but it's Mary's version and the arrangement on it that has always made the hairs on my neck stand up.

    ReplyDelete