Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 July 2024

CC Revs the CC's - Lap 4

 


Four laps done and this week Rol is out in front.

Rol writes

I was glad to see CC get around to two-wheeled motorised vehicles at last, because there was one song I was dying to recommend. But before we get to that, the most obvious choice which I know nobody else will suggest, but it still deserves to be recognised as Jim Steinman and Marvin Lee Aday’s finest hour…

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell


In that unjustly-scorned-because-it-sold-a-lot-of-copies classic, Meat is riding a Silver Black Phantom bike. Not, as the famous 80s mondegreen would have it…

I’m gonna hit the highway like a battering ram

I’m a Cilla Black fan, all right!


However, despite my love of all things Steinman, that was not the first two-wheeled motorised vehicle song I thought of. No! That honour went to this lost nugget of 80s sounds-a-bit-like-Billy-Bragg joy by Rodney Allen, latterly of the Chesterfields and the Blue Aeroplanes…

Rodney Allen - Thrills on Wheels


After those two set the standard, there was no way I was going to start digging around in the depths of the hard-drive for obscure b-sides. Only the Manics doing their best Guns n Roses impression would maintain the quality…

Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness


My Dad would never have let me anywhere near a motorbike. One of his best friends died on one. Not wanting to bring the mood down here, just reminding you all to drive safely…

The Shangri- Las - Leader of the Pack


CC writes: Many Thanks Rol

Your Dad was a sensible man. Who knows - you could have ended up like Meatloaf!


Keep on revving.


12 comments:

  1. I don't want to be a pedant, or to pick a quarrel with either of the two acknowledged Kings of Series, but yesterday over at Rol's place he rejected my suggestions for his Olympic sports theme because they were not part of a song title. I note that only one of his four selections today has a motorcycle in the title. One rule for them...

    However, if CC is now allowing songs about motorcycles that do not mention them in the title then I hope he will find room for the best of them all, Jethro Tull's "Too Old To Rock 'n Roll, Too Young To Die". I hope I can rely on George's support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your suggestions were in the artist name! That's different! It's perfectly fine to feature a song about motorbikes that doesn't have motorbikes in the title. It's a different kettle of salmon to suggest Harley Davidson & The Rough Riders purely on their name, even though they never sang any songs about motorbikes.

      Without rules, Ernie, we have anarchy.

      Delete
    2. With the greatest possible respect, Rol, it is one thing for you to define the rules for your own series but you now appear to be defining them for CC's series as well. If every contributor gets to set their own rules then that really would be anarchy.

      If CC agrees with you that after nearly eight months of Transport Tuesday the rules are now different then that of course is his prerogative. And in that event I am sure he will be grateful when I start bombarding him with songs about (but not mentioning in the title) trains, boats, planes, trucks, caravans and bikes.

      Delete
    3. If I've misremembered, then I apologise. But I'm sure there must have been songs featured here previously which didn't feature the mode of transportation in the title. If not, there should have been.

      Delete
    4. And if I have misremembered then I similarly apologise. I will stop there before our kind host tires of us and bans us from every contributing again.

      Delete
    5. His reluctance to wade in and break up our fight speaks volumes...

      Delete
    6. I'm a live and let live kinda guy.
      Just happy that folk are taking the time and effort to submit guest posts here

      Delete
  2. Well, that Rodney Allen track has put a big smile on my face, no mean feat this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you could have ended up like Meatloaf!" Hell's teeth, it's worse than that, you could end up liking Meatloaf's music

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tickled to see an alum of the Subway Organization on these pages. Was/Is Rodney well known?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, Brian. I only discovered his record a couple of years back.

      Delete
  5. To be honest I've never been a boxing fan but those 15 round contests where flabby overweight titans slow-motion slugged it out toe to toe until one of said behemoths slumped to the floor under a rain of blows from his blubbery adversary did contain an aspect of rare primal beauty. Just like Rol and Ernie in fact.

    ReplyDelete