Search This Blog

Monday 22 July 2024

Squirrel Flower at the Glad Cafe

 


On Friday night I went to see Chicago based Indie Folk  act Squirrel Flower (Ella Williams plus band)  at a very hot Glad Cafe  

Squirrel Flower was a name I was not familiar with until a recent post at Ernie's place Following my complimentary comment he advised me that she was playing at the Glad Cafe and a ticket was duly purchased. Spence did similar going to see her in Manchester proving something that we already knew - Ernie is an Influencer.

The support band were Maripool, a London based band, who I'm afraid did not make much of an impression on me.

The same could not be said of Squirrel Flower  who by and large were promoting their most recent album  2023's Tomorrow's Fire on Polyvinyl. As the Glad Cafe blurb says before her new album Tomorrow’s Fire, Squirrel Flower might’ve been labelled something like “indie folk,” but this is a rock record, made to be played loud. 

Where these tracks met with my approval I was more taken with some of the older Indie Folk numbers particularly those which Ella sang solo.

Ernie has kindly shared 2020's I Was Born Swimming and 2021's Planet(i)  from which the songs below are taken.

A solid 8/10 evening. I'll certainly be keeping a keen eye on her/their future career

Thanks for the heads up.

Squirrel Flower - Roadkill

Squirrel Flower - Belly of the City


2 comments:

  1. I hereby endorse CC's review. I saw Squirrel Flower in London earlier in the week, enjoyed it very much. Marginally more taken with Maripool that CC appears to be, but not enough to buy the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a great venue to see any band too. :-)

    ReplyDelete