Search This Blog

Friday 5 July 2024

Stray

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 44  - Aztec Camera - Stray

Such was the brilliance of Aztec Camera's 1983 debut album High Land, Hard Rain it proved a hard act to follow. The second album 1984's Knife is pretty good but it is generally accepted that their third one 1987's Love was pretty poor.

Their 4th album Stray from 1990 on WEA was generally regarded as a return to form . It is the one which features Mick Jones on Good Morning Britain. The story goes that Roddy Frame wrote it in 45 minutes in the canteen of a rehearsal studio that both Aztec Camera and Big Audio Dynamite were using.

And according to Wiki In an August 2014 radio interview, Frame elaborated further, stating that at the time he wrote the song, Jones lived near his London home; Frame visited Jones after recording the song and said to the Clash guitarist, "You'll either sing on it, or you'll want to sue me", as Frame believed the song was so similar to Jones' previous work

Hopefully it is an apt track as we wake up this morning to the Election results.

Whereas that track alone would have been worth the pound I played the  rest of the album is not too shabby. 

Aztec Camera (ft Mick Jones) - Good Morning Britain

Aztec Camera - Notting Hill Blues

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I am so dense sometimes, when I first read "it is the one which features Mick Jones on Good Morning Britain" I was just about to head to youtube to search for footage of him being interviewed by Susanna Reid! (I know, apart from anything else the dates are all wrong, but it was early and I'd been up late last night)
    Great song, though - and apt as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never get why everyone has such a downer on Love. Please don't try to explain it to me, I'll only cry. How Men Are on its own makes that album worthy of classic status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Good Morning Britain- and very apt today

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Mick Jones had ever sued I'd have thought Stuart Adamson would have wanted a piece of that action - Big Country is all over that track too!

    ReplyDelete