Search This Blog

Sunday 14 July 2024

Bastille Day

 


Liberté, égalité, fraternité

Today is Bastille Day for the other half of the Auld Alliance

It is probably one worth celebrating given that the French in the recent election narrowly saw off the far right Rassemblent National party of Marie Le Pen.

The far right being rejected in both Britain and France is hopefully a good omen for the future.

As well as this it also gives me an excuse to share some French music with you.

It also gives me an excuse to mark the sad passing of the lovely Françoise Hardy on 11th June aged 80 something I neglected to do at the time. She was everything you would imagine that a French woman would be.

Many years ago I received a promotional e-mail championing a French band called Nevski. I subsequently picked up their 4 track CD. Since then I have been unable to find out anything more about them which is a shame as I really liked what I heard.

Something a wee bit more funky you say? Go on then here are The French Fries with Danse a la Musique. And who wouldn't turn down the opportunity to listen to Debbie Harry singing in French?

I was aware that there is a band called Bastille but I have nothing by them so I sourced a video

Viva la France!


Francoise Hardy - Le Temps de L'Amour

Nevski - En Angleterre

The French Fries - Danse a la Musique

Blondie - Sunday Girl (French Version)





2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of the auld alliance. Odd that, growing up in England! A friend recently accused me of not being patriotic - it was the biggest compliment I've had in years!

    ReplyDelete