Search This Blog

Monday 1 April 2024

Sometimes I Wish I Never Heard the Rolling Stones

 


I can't name names but someone very kindly forwarded me a copy of Glasgow Eyes by The Jesus and Mary Chain. I am not particularly a fan  of the band but like the curate's egg it is good in parts.

One particular song which appealed to me was The Eagles and The Beatles which seems to more about the Rolling Stones.

This got me thinking  of other songs where the Stones get a namecheck. The most obvious one is the song by Michael Hall and the Woodpeckers which lends its name to this post title 

Finally a couple where they feature briefly. From the album Halcyon Days I give you Jason & the Scorchers with Moonshine Guy/Releasing  Celtic Prisoners where they like the Stones and hate the Doors and think The Beatles sing for girls.

In 1977 The Clash are less than impressed with Elvis, Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

No doubt Rol could provide another  20 or 30 but that will do me for now.


The Jesus and Mary Chain - The Eagles and the Beatles

Michael Hall & the Woodpeckers - Sometimes I Wish I Never Heard the Rolling Stones

Jason & the Scorchers - Moonshine Guy/Releasing Celtic Prisoners

The Clash - 1977


12 comments:

  1. What nice people you know.

    'All The Young Dudes' and 'Beatles And The Stones' by House of Love are the ones that springs to mind immediately, but as you say there are probably countless others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ready Steady Go - Generation X. The House of Love is, as Ernie alludes to, a classic.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  4. The House Of Love would have been my obvious choice, but you could also have...

    Kris Kristofferson - Blame It On The Stones

    Waylon & Willie - Rocks from Rolling Stones

    The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - 365 Rolling Stones (One for Everyday of the Year)

    Cloud Control - The Rolling Stones

    Dinosaur Jr - I Met The Stones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why KK didn't immediately spring to mind

      Delete
  5. "Godstar" - Psychic TV. There's a corker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was just about to mention Godstar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would this series include Beatles Bones and n' Smoking Stones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, CC. Slightly out on a limb but would individual Stones count? I.e. The Clash 'Jail Guitar Doors': "And then there's Keith, waiting for trial, twenty-five thousand bail..." (Plus a Wayne Kramer and Peter Green bonus!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob Dylan's 2020 song 'I Contain Multitudes' includes the line '...them British bad boys the Rolling Stones...' and 47 years earlier, Bowie told us that '... people stared in Jagger's eyes and scored, like the video films we saw...'

    ReplyDelete
  10. House of Love was my obvious suggestion. No one has so far mentioned Daniel Johnston's The Beatles which is well worth a listen

    ReplyDelete