Search This Blog

Thursday 18 April 2024

Unknown Pleasures

 


Now before you get excited at the back it is not Unknown Pleasures the dirge from Joy Division but  rather Unknown Pleasures  a compilation by Uncut magazine of rare and classic tracks from the archives of Demon Records.

Just look at this tracklist It has been converted to a download with the intention of it going to charity as part of the Compilation Cull. However I have  just had a change of heart. As things stand I can't bear to part with it at this stage even although I have the vast majority of the songs elsewhere. I'm sure that it will go eventually but not just now.

God, this can be hard at times!

Three quarters of the 20 tracks are worthy of inclusion here today but with better will power than above I have restricted myself to three absolute belters.


Loudon Wainwright III - Your Mother And I

Edwyn Collins - You Poor Deluded Fool

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Tokyo Storm Warning

8 comments:

  1. "Unknown Pleasures the dirge from Joy Division"
    Are you adopting my contrarian mantle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if George was guest-posting again today.

      Looks like a fine selection of artists on that CD.

      Delete
  2. Some of these are stretching the definition of 'unknown' quite a bit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of T-Rex until I got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of Mary Coughlan, and I'm not sure I have heard any songs by Sam Brown.

      Delete
    2. Stop by Sam Brown, which has appeared here a couple of times,is a belter.

      Delete
  4. Can't say I'm as familiar as you are with these tracks - I'm at about 15%. I can however pip George on Sam Brown - the one track of hers I know, is a personal favourite of mine from 1990 with Kissing Gate. Loudon is as great here as he usually is and gets my vote in another non-voting thread. As for Elvis Costello it took me a while to realise he was re-channeling the Stones' 19th Nervous Breakdown

    ReplyDelete