Search This Blog

Friday 12 April 2024

The Home Nations - 3

 


I remembered this week!

As per the last two times  the nations will feature in alphabetical order to stop accusations of bias or favouritism.

Therefore we start with England - not because it is the biggest and thinks it is superior to the others - but because it is the first of the four alphabetically.

We will start this week with the wonderful PJ Harvey with the title track from her excellent 2011 album Let England  Shake. I kind of lost touch with her after this one, something I should probably try to rectify.

Next we are off to Downpatrick, County Down in Northern Ireland the hometown of the band Ash. Although they have had many great songs and albums they have never bettered Girl From Mars from their 1996 debut album 1977.

Kenny Anderson aka King Creosote was commissioned to produce a soundtrack to the documentary From Scotland with Love. Mrs CC and I were privileged to see him perform the album in its entirety at a eerie Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow in March 2020 a couple of days prior to lockdown. Here is his homage to the Ayrshire seaside town of Largs.

Finally we have the Super Furry Animals a Welsh band who are even better than The Stereophonics. Hard to believe I know but it's true.

More jingoistic nonsense next Friday.

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

Ash - Girl From Mars

King Creosote -Largs

Super Furry Animals - Hermann Loves Pauline

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure that King Creosote's homage was to Largs, Ayrshire rather than Largs, Poland or Largs, Ukraine or Largs, Russia? Very eastern European anyway. Great song from Ash though my favourite of theirs is Uncle Pat. I also lost my way a bit with Polly Harvey but love the track you played. I'm much less familiar with the Super Furries and hadn't in fact heard that track before. If we were voting, my choice this week would be for Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete