Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 April 2024

Knocked Out Loaded

 


The Missing Haul - Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded

One of my long term projects is to acquire the entire catalogue of Bob Dylan's studio albums preferably cheaply.

I'm doing reasonably well. I think that I now have 25 out of the 40 of them. Missing is a good place to fill in some of the blanks at a reasonable price.

As you can see above my latest acquisition is Knocked Out Loaded his 24th from 1986 and as always on the Columbia label.

It got panned by the critics and probably rightly so as this was not one of the best periods in Bob's long and normally illustrious career, This was reflected in the sales only reaching number 53 in the US and  35 in the UK. Only Rolling Stone appears to give it more than 2 out of 5. Even they say  Less bad than pointless, Knocked Out Loaded will prove most satisfying to those content to expect the very least from it.

If it wasn't part of this project I suspect that it may have been going back .If this was your introduction to Dylan you wouldn't go any further.

It will be interesting to see if anyone leaps to its defence. I won't be holding my breath.


Bob Dylan - Driftin' Too Far From Shore

Bob Dylan - Maybe Someday

4 comments:

  1. 'Brownsville Girl' is a favourite of mine. The rest I can manage without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'They Killed Him' and 'Precious Memories' are songs I've skipped for the past 38 years. I've always had a real soft spot for 'Maybe Someday' though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A worthy project, which I'm trying to emulatr, albeit being somewhat behind you... but Dylan is another of those artists I rarely see in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only defence I can mount is that it produced Brownsville Girl which is such a superlative Dylan-y track. Can a single track salvage an album? I've a whole raft of albums I keep just because of one track so the answer is probably yes. That said I must find some time to play the rest of this alb this week.

    ReplyDelete